Arthur Lane Kemp was born in Ballarat in 1876 and was educated in Gippsland. Prior to World War One
he was a Workmen’s Inspector in the mines at Leonora, in the Goldfields-Esperance region of Western Australia.
In 1915, Arthur left for England after training at Blackboy Hill Camp at Greenmount, WA.During his time in England
he suffered repeated bouts of serious illness. In February 1918 he was declared unfit for service and invalided back to
Australia the 3rd Auxiliary Hospital ship in April 1918.
Arthur’s Army medical records indicate there was confusion over the reasons for his repeated illnesses; On 16 June 1916
it was recorded as ‘Miners’ complaint’ (Phthisis) shortly before he departed Australia; tuberculosis was ruled out during a
medical conducted 16 June 1916. In October 1917, pneumonia caused his admission to the 1st Western General Hospital at
Upon his return to Australia confusion continued to reign. Arthur was diagnosed with chronic Bronchitis in January 1918,
then Fibrosis of the lungs in May 1918. Within weeks – in June 1918, the latter had been overturned in favour of a diagnosis
of Phthisis. He was officially discharged from the Australian Army Tunnelling Corps in early June 1918.
Sapper Arthur Kemp died in 1921.
More on Arthur Kemp via:
Photo Arthur Kemp via “Fighting Sons of the Empire’ page 229
If you are related to Arthur Lane Kemp, would you be so kind as to contact us via: email@example.com
The planting of the ‘Aleppo Pine’, descendant from a Pine Tree at Lone Pine planted on 9th of August by Lt Col Tom Biedermann Commanding Officer 8/7 RVR, at the Ballarat Ranger Museum, on the Centenary of the end oif the Battle for Lone Pine 1915.
As well as the unveiling of a plaque commemorating the Centenary of the raising of the 18th Company, Australian Army Service Corps, 8th Brigade, 5th Division, AIF on the 30th of August 1915. The plaque was unveiled by the descendant of the 18 AASC Men.
August Offensive at Gallipoli:
On Monday 3 August 2015, on a very cold Ballarat (with a little sleet/snow/hail thrown in for measure) the re-creation of the Arthur Kenny Avenue of Honour took place on Fortune Street, Ballarat East.
Over recent months, staff from Ballarat Childrens’ and Family Services (CAFS, a successor organisation to the Ballarat Orphanage) the City of Ballarat, Conservation Volunteers Australia, People at Work, Bunnings Warehouse, Espresso Mobile Cafe Ballarat, and the joint Rotary Clubs of Ballarat – with additional support received from the RSL Ballarat sub-branch – have worked together overseeing the planting of 106 replacement oak trees along Fortune Street.
These oaks replace those which formed the earlier Avenue of Honour named after the then manager at the Ballarat Orphanage. After Arthur Kenny’s death in 1925, the Avenue named in his honour slowly fell into disrepair. This project along with today’s ceremony form part of CAFS 150th celebrations in 2015.
Today, a newly cast commemorative brass plaque sits alongside each replacement oak; and the one pictured below commemorates the life of 4114 Sapper James Wallace – one of Ballarat’s sons – who served with the 5th Australian Army Tunnelling Corps.
Lest We Forget.
More on the re-creation of the Arthur Kenny Avenue of Honour: